There have been alot of misconceptions about freemasonry and for that matter, persons who openly come out to say they belong to the society are often tagged as evil. However, that is not so. It is only those who lack enough information about what it entails criticise it.
To settle this misconception, this article takes a look at how to join Freemason in Ghana and also explains what Freemason is all about.
According to Wikipedia, Freemasonry or Masonry are fraternal organisations that trace their origins to the local guilds of stonemasons. From the end of the 13th century, they regulated ghetto qualifications of stonemasons and their interaction with authorities and clients.
Freemasonry in Ghana started as far back as in the early 19th century when the first Masonic Lodge was consecrated in the country. A Masonic Lodge is where Freemasons meet. Every new lodge must be warranted or Chartered by a Grand Lodge.
The practice of Freemasons was introduced into the country during British colonial era.
To join the Freemason society, there are some basic requirements. They are;
- Applicant must believe in a supreme being.
- Additionally, applicant must be willing to join out of free will and not because someone else wants you to.
- Must be of legal age. Usually above 18 years of age.
- Must be a man (ladies or women cannot be Freemasons)
- Must be a free-born. What this means is that, an applicant must be his own master and not a slave under another man.
- Lastly, applicant must have been recommended by at least two existing Freemasons from the Lodge you’re applying to.
HOW TO JOIN THE FREEMASON SOCIETY
Check out these simple steps on how to join Freemason in Ghana;
- Contact the local Masonic Lodge or Grand lodge of Ghana.
- Pay in full the amount of dues required
- Book an appointment
- An arrangement will be made for you to meet Masonic Lodge committee members.
- Masonic Lodge committee members will investigate your level of honesty.
- Balloting is normally done on your admission/rejection
- Date of admission will be set and certified by members if they agree to your petition to join the society.
Notable Members Of The Freemason Society
Ghana has seen some notable members of Freemason both in the past and presently ranging from politicians to judges to legislators and so on and so forth.
Below are a few notable members of the Freemason society;
- Former President John Agyekum Kufuor
- Otumfuor Osei Tutu II
- Lawyer Philip Addison
- Hon. Alexander Afenyo Markin
- Hon. Albert Kan Dapaah.
- Joseph Arthur Ankrah ( Former Head of State 1966-1969)
- Akwasi Afrifa ( Former Head of State 1969-1970)
- JB Danquah (Big Six)
- Ako-Adjei (Big Six)
- Ebenezer Sakyi Hughes , ETC.
MYTHS & OPINIONS
The secretive nature of the Freemasons society has contributed to the misconceptions people have about them. Whatever they discuss at their meetings stays between them hence many feel they are hiding their “evil” deeds.
They do not allow religious or political discussions in their Lodges. However, it is believed that they do not allow atheist in the society. It is also quite surprising that their Masonic Lodges looks similar to that of the temples built by Solomon in the Bible.
Most non Freemasons believe one automatically becomes rich when they join the society. However, that is not the case as Masons believe the society only helps to make you a better man in Strength, courage, honesty etc.