Colleges of education, also known as Teacher Training schools play a very critical role in Ghana by way of training thousands of persons/ students to become professional teachers in Ghana. And in this article, we will look at Mount Mary College of Education Courses and requirements so you check them out and apply.
In total, there are about forty six (46) Colleges of Education in Ghana including Mount Mary College of Education. They are all very similar but they do not offer the same courses.
About Mount Mary College of Education
Mount Mary College of Education is a public college of Education in Ghana located in Somanya in the Eastern Region of Ghana. It was established in 1947 by American Catholic SVD Missionaries with an initial student of 23 males.
It operated as an all male school since it was established in 1947 until 1974 when it began to admit female students. The college is sometimes called MomaCo and is affiliated to the University of Ghana, Legon.
For more information about the college, kindly visit their website 👉 http://mmce.edu.gh/
Now check out the list of Mount Mary College of Education Courses and Requirements below…..
Courses Offered at Mount Mary College of Education
The college offers the following degree programmes;
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Primary Education
- Bachelor of Eduction (B.Ed) French and English
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) English and Ghanaian Languages
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) French and Ghanaian Languages
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Religious and Moral Education and Music and Dance
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Social Studies
- Applicants with WASSCE must have credits (A1 – C6) in Six (6)subjects which must include Three (3) Core subjects, ie. English Language, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science/ Social Studies and Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
- SSSCE applicants must possess credit passes (A-D) in Six (6) subjects which includes Three (3) Core subjects that must include English Language and Core Mathematics plus Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
- Candidates awaiting results (both WASSCE and NABPTEX examinations) can also apply.
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advance Level Applicants
Students applying with GCE Advance Level must have passes in three (3) subjects with at least one of the passes being Grade D or better. Must have credits (Grade 6) in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects including English Language, Mathematics, and a Science or Arts subject depending on which course you studied.
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) Holders: must possess passes in three (3) subjects (at least, one of the passes should be Grade D or better). Must have credit passes in five (5) subjects which includes English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science/ Social Studies in the General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE).
- Technical and Vocational Education and Training Applicants must hold a Certificate II in three (3) relevant trade areas awarded by TEU, NVTI, City & Guilds, and other authorised awarding bodies in addition to NABPTEX Certificate II in lieu of passes in English and Mathematics. Must have NABPTEX certificate II in relevant trade areas in addition to three (3) credit passes in WASSCE/SSSCE core subjects which includes English and Mathematics. Must posses a National Certificate II qualification in Competency Based Training (CBT) in a relevant trade area awarded by TEU on the National TVET Qualification Framework (NTVETQF).
- Applicants with foreign qualifications must be sent to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) for the determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission into the college.
NB: American SAT, TOEFL, etc alone is not enough to qualify for admission into the college.