What is the Presby Women’s College of Education Courses and requirements? Here is your complete guide to finding all you need to know about Presby Women’s College of Education Courses and requirements so you can choose a course of your choice and apply.
The College opens admissions for interested but qualified persons who wish to receive training in th College to apply for admissions. However, due to lack of space, the selection process is very competitive hence you must do well to check if you meet their requirements before applying in the first place.
The Presbyterian Women’s College of Education was established in 1928 by Basel Missionaries. It was previously known as Aburi Women’s Teacher Training College and is an all female Teacher Training College located in Aburi in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
The College is affiliated to the University of Education Winneba. For more information about Presbyterian Women’s College of Education, click HERE
The Presbyterian Women’s College of Education offers programmes in the following departments headed and taught by experienced teachers;
- Education Department (Early Childhood Education/ Education Studies)
- Languages Department (English/ Ga/ Twi)
- Vocational Skills Department (Home Economics/ Arts)
- Social Science Department (Social Studies/ RME/ Music and Dance)
- Mathematics and ICT Department (Mathematics/ Information and Communication Technology)
- Physical and Applied Science Department (Integrated Science/ Agricultural Science/ Physical Education)
Courses Offered at Presby Women’s College of Education
The College offers the following degree programmes;
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Primary Education
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Junior High School Education
Applicants who wish to gain admission into the Presbyterian Women’s College of Education must first meet the following General entry requirements;
WASSCE applicants must possess CREDIT PASSES A1-C6 in Six (6)subjects. The subjects must include Three (3) Core subjects, ie. English Language, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies and Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
SSCE applicants must posses PASSES A-D in Six (6) subjects, which includes Three (3) Core subjects ie. English Language, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies plus Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
Awaiting Results Candidates
Candidates awaiting results (WASSCE or NABPTEX) are eligible to apply but must indicate it when applying.
Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) Applicants
ABCE applicants must have passes in three (3) subjects. Have credit passes in five (5) subjects, ie. English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science, or Social Studies in the General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE).
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advance Level Applicants
GCE Advance Level applicant’s must also have passes in three (3) subjects. Additionally, applicant must posses credit passes ie. Grade 6 in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects which must include English Language, Mathematics, and a Science or Arts subjects depending on what course you studied.
Technical and Vocational Education and Training Applicants
TVET Applicants must possess Certificate II in three (3) relevant trade areas awarded by TEU, NVTI, City & Guilds, and other authorised awarding bodies in addition to NABPTEX Certificate II in lieu of passes in English and Mathematics.
- Must have NABPTEX certificate II in relevant trade areas in addition to three (3) credit passes in WASSCE/SSSCE core subjects, including English and Mathematics.
- Must hold a National Certificate II qualification in Competency Based Training (CBT) in a relevant trade area awarded by TEU on the National TVET Qualification Framework (NTVETQF).
Students applying with foreign qualifications must be referred to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) to determine if such qualifications is enough to qualify for admission into the College.
NB: Holders of American SAT, TOEFL etc, must however note that these qualifications alone are not enough to qualify for admissions into Presbyterian Women’s College of Education.