The SDA College of Education Courses and requirements is very similar to the other public Colleges of Education in Ghana. The College, which was established in 1962 by the SDA Church in Koforidua in the Eastern Region of Ghana has trained several students to become hardworking, committed, skilled and experienced teachers in their area of expertise.
It started with 120 students but currently has over 2,000 students receiving training at the college to become basic school teachers.
Visit their website https://www.sedacoe.site/about.html for further information about the College.
Scroll down to check out the list of SDA College of Education Courses and Requirements.
Departments In SDA College of Education
The College offers courses in the following departments;
- Languages Department
- Science Department
- Social Sciences Department
- Department of Education
- Mathematics and ICT Department
- Vocational/ Technical Studies Department
- Creative Arts Department
Courses Offered at SDA College of Education
SDA College of Education offers the following degree programmes;
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Early Grade Education
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Primary Education
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Junior High School Education
The General Admission requirements for SDA College of Education are;
Must have CREDIT PASSES A1-C6 in Six (6)subjects ie. Three (3) Core subjects, ie. English Language, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies and Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
SSCE holders must have PASSES A-D in Six (6) subjects, comprising Three (3) Core subjects ie. English Language, Core Mathematics, Integrated Science or Social Studies plus Three (3) Elective subjects relevant to the course of study.
Awaiting Results Candidates
Candidates awaiting results (WASSCE or NABPTEX) can also apply as awaiting results. NB: do not forget to indicate same when applying.
Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) Applicants
Advanced Business Certificate Examination applicants must have passes in three (3) subjects. Must have credit passes in five (5) subjects, ie. English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science, or Social Studies in the General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE).
General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advance Level holders
GCE Advance Level holders must also possess passes in three (3) subjects. Additionally, applicant must posses credit passes ie. Grade 6 in five GCE Ordinary Level subjects which must include English Language, Mathematics, and a Science or Arts subjects depending on the course you studied.
Technical and Vocational Education and Training Applicants
- T.TVET Applicants must possess Certificate II in three (3) relevant trade areas awarded by TEU, NVTI, City & Guilds, and other authorised awarding bodies in addition to NABPTEX Certificate II in lieu of passes in English and Mathematics.
- Must have NABPTEX certificate II in relevant trade areas in addition to three (3) credit passes in WASSCE/SSSCE core subjects, including English and Mathematics.
- Must hold a National Certificate II qualification in Competency Based Training (CBT) in a relevant trade area awarded by TEU on the National TVET Qualification Framework (NTVETQF).
Applicants with foreign qualifications must be sent to the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC) to determine whether such qualification is enough to qualify for admission into Offinso College of Education or not.
NB: Applicants with American SAT, TOEFL etc, must however note that those qualifications alone is not enough to qualify for admissions into SDA College of Education.